*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, June 6, 2014

"Johnny Tremain" by Esther Forbes


Title: Johnny Tremain
Author: Esther Forbes
Have I Read it Before: Almost

Many years ago I was supposed to read this book in class. I tried again and again, but no part of it kept my attention. This was a shame, as we were learning about the American Revolution and I found it fascinating. But there was just something about this book that could not keep my attention. I had hopes that reading this as an adult would improve the material, but really, it did not.

Johnny Tremain is an apprentice to a silversmith, and very talented at that. His future in the profession is very bright until an accident that will change his life forever. Suddenly he can no longer stay in the field and must find a new way of life. On top of this, the stirrings of the American Revolution are taking place in Boston. Soon Johhny finds himself caught up in the fight for America's freedom.

I should like this book. It has all of the workings of a good novel. I think I just don't care for Forbes' writing style. It is just too dry for my personal tastes. I won't be reading this book, though I can see why others like it. Honestly, the only way I can really recommend it is if you are also trying to complete a Newbery challenge, otherwise, I'm not sure if it is worth the bother.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...