*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

"Hanging on to Max" by Margaret Bechard

I have been looking forward to reading this book for quite some time and am happy to say that it met my expectations entirely. When Sam's ex-girlfriend decides that she wants to give their baby up for adoption, Sam decides to take over. Though he is still in high school, he takes his fatherly role seriously. He does everything he can to care for Max, but sometimes he feels it just isn't enough. He also rekindles a friendship with Claire who is also a teenage parent. Throughout all of this, Sam learns a lot about himself and what it really takes to be a good parent.

I was quite impressed with Hanging on to Max. I have read quite a few books that focus on teenage pregnancy and parenthood, but never one that tells the story from the male perspective. I think that Bechard did a wonderful job of capturing what it is like to be a teenage father including the challenges and prejudices that come with it. The emotions are very real and I can easily see these events taking place in real life. This book is a real eye opener about being a young parent. I have so much respect for Sam and the choices he makes. Though they are not easy choices, I feel that he handles them in the best way possible, especially when he begins to think about what is the best decision for his son. I highly recommend this book for all teens!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...