*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

"The Loners" (Quarentine #1) by Lex Thomas

First off, this book really surprised me. I knew the general premise; something happens causing the population of a high school to be completely quarantined from the rest of the world and their fight to survive. What I didn't expect was just how dark this book was going to be. Unfortunately, it was a little darker than I generally like, but I think that this made the book stronger overall. David's first day of school starts off just as one would expect when out of no where, part of the school explodes. Without warning, the teachers are dead, the students are unable to leave and nothing will ever be the same. As the school falls into absolute chaos, David has to do anything he can to keep him and his brother, Will, alive.

There was just something about this book that caught my attention. I didn't expect so much chaos and destruction, but am glad to see that such a book exists. I am an extremely squeamish person. To give you an idea of how much so, parts of The Hunger Games film was a little bit too graphic for me. I managed to get through the entirety of Breaking Bad, but a good number of scenes were "watched" with my eyes closed even that was a little traumatizing. There were several times while reading The Loners where I had to close the book and breathe for a minute because the scene was that intense. Now don't get me wrong. I am not complaining about this and I have every intention of reading the sequel. It is just not often that I come across a book that creates such a strong visual and while that element was a little overwhelming for me, I am so glad for this.

A few days ago, a teen at my library asked me for a book that was scary, but that didn't have anything like zombies or vampires in it. I recommended the first of the Quarantine books. The next day he came back and told me "that was awesome. Are there more?" So I can say with some certainty that if you like scary books that don't involve the paranormal, then you will probably like this book. While I will approach any other books by the Lex Thomas team with caution due to my own weirdness, I am very hopeful for more books by them.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I loved the first book also. I just finished the second book. There is something really compelling about the plot and characters that made me want to keep reading. It was also nice to be constantly surprised by turns in the plot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...