*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, March 31, 2014

"Avatar The Last Airbender: The Search" by Gene Luen Yang

This collection was brilliant! I read Part 1 of The Search right when it came out, but just recently got to finish it. Those that have watched the show can attest that one of the biggest frustrations upon the series' completion is that we never found out what happened to Zuko and Azula's mother. In my opinion, Avatar: The Last Airbender is one of the greatest shows to ever be on television and I feel that it's only major flaw is that there were some story lines that never got fully resolved. So I was quite pleased to find out that we would finally get closure on this particular story line.

Before you consider reading this graphic novel, know that you don't want to start it unless you have completed all three books that make up the television show (and if you don't know why I am referring to them as books then I know you haven't watched them). Secondly, you should probably read The Promise before hand, but there are probably less spoilers if you choose to skip it.

I thought that The Search handled the story of Ursa and Zuko's quest to find her perfectly. As with The Promise, I was impressed with the change in medium and felt that the story was still genuine though it was told in a literary format. Though I desperately missed Toph is these volumes (hopefully my only spoiler), I thought that this plot was even better than the one in The Promise. Since my boyfriend is the one that got me into Avatar we were discussing these spin-offs and agree that some of the conflict in The Promise felt a little forced, but that The Search felt far more valid. Either way, the characters really come off the page it is great to revisit these beloved characters.

On a related note, the copy I read is beautifully bound with all three comics and includes side notes from the creators. I have never wanted to own a comic like I have wanted to own these (I borrowed the one I read from the library) and cannot wait to complete my Avatar collection!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...