*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, August 26, 2011

"The Mother-Daughter Book Club" by Heather Vogel Frederick


Sadly I am going about this series the wrong way.  So far I have read book two, Much Ado About Anne and am in the middle of book four, Pies and Prejudice.  I am having a lot of fun with this series and look forward to getting copies of books one, The Mother-Daughter Book Club and three, Dear Pen PalIn addition, I’d like to read Home for the Holidays when it is released in October.

The series is a bit what you’d expect, based on its title.  Though I am not completely sure how it was formed (does it really make sense to review a series I have not completed?  Oh well….) it’s what I would think it would be about, four young girls are in a book club with their mothers and use the events taking place in the novels to help inspire them to solve the problems taking place in their lives.  The books are not just about the classic literature the girls are reading (so far I've encountered Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice).  Each girl has her own distinct personality; the jock, the fashionista, the farm girl, and the reader.  Though they are all different, this works for them.  Again, I don’t know much about the events of the first book, but during Much Ado About Anne, the girls are working to save Jess’ wonderfully named, Half-Moon Farm.  From their readings and personal skills the girls come up with a plan and put it into action.
This is a great book for late elementary/middle school readers who may not be ready for (or interested in) the vampire romances or intense topics currently popular for young adult readers.  I love that the girls in this series tackle their problems head on and while they involve the adults in their lives, they take control of their actions and work to get things done.  If I had to pick something to complain about, it would be the length of the chapters.  Though they don’t drag, I often find the individual chapters to take a long time to end and I seem to read these books in shorter spurts than normal.  However, I am enjoying reading and I will certainly be finishing this series!

Check out Heather Vogel Frederick's website!

Happy Reading! 
-Melly

1 comment:

  1. I'll email myself to make sure I order that one coming out in October. :) barb

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...