*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

"The Story of Doctor Dolittle" and "The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle" by Hugh Lofting


Title: The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle
Author: Hugh Lofting
Have I Read it Before: yes

http://vegbooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/JR-CL-Doctor-Dolittle.jpgI am choosing to review both books because I sometimes have a hard time reviewing separate books in the same series when I read them one right after the other. That being said, onto the world of Doctor Dolittle!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/The_Voyages_of_Doctor_Dolittle.djvu/page1-220px-The_Voyages_of_Doctor_Dolittle.djvu.jpgJohn Dolittle is a doctor but spends more of time with the animals, so much so that he can speak to them. He finally accepts that he would do much better as a veterinarian and changes careers.  The Story of Doctor Dolittle tells of him finding his true place in the world and his trip to Africa to help during a monkey epidemic. In The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle, we meet Tommy Stubbins (the narrator of the books) who becomes Dolittle's new assistant and accompanies on his trip to find Long Arrow, the world's greatest naturalist.  Both books contain great adventures, new animals, and lots of fun.

I first read The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle when I was in middle school, not realizing it was a series. I later made plans to read more by Lofting, but it wasn't until starting my Newbery challenge that I got around to it. I can so seeing these books appealing to boys around ages 8-10. I would love to see said boys turn these books into games too. I remember playing out Mario Brothers and Star Wars as a kid (yeah, I wasn't much of girly girl) but I think I would have enjoyed searching the islands for Long Arrow and escaping from the king of Jolliginki. My only complaint about these books? The copy I got for my kindle lacked illustrations (as I also own a hard copy, I can't complain to much). And since that is my only complaint, then you know you are in for a good time with these books!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...