*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"Eight Winter Nights: A Family Hanukkah Book" by Laura Krauss Melmed, Illustrated by Elisabeth Schlossberg

Eight Winter Nights summarizes each night of Hanukkah through a short poem. It describes the food, the games, and the traditions in an easy to understand format that also rhymes. While this is a very cute book, I was sort of disappointed while I was reading it because, at first, Laura Krauss Melmed didn't give much detail as to what Hanukkah is, why it is celebrated, or an explanation of the traditions. However, I was pleased when I reached the end to find a short history of Hanukkah and a glossary. I was glad that it presented the material in a fun way but then gave the reader more information. 

I live in an area that doesn't focus very much on Hanukkah, which is sad because it is one of my favorite holidays. I am hopeful that one day I will be invited to a Hanukkah celebration so that I can enjoy latkes and dreidal games and get to see the lighting of the menorah. Until then, I will settle for the amazing books that celebrate this holiday. Totally recommend this book to any one who celebrates Hanukkah or to those that want to teach their children more about this awesome holiday.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...