*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

"Ugly to Start With" by John Michael Cummings

Hoo boy.  This was a difficult read.I am not a fan of short stories to begin with.  Once in a great while I come across one that I rather enjoy, but overall they are not my cup of tea.  So I wasn't sure how I would feel about a novel told in a series of short stories.  I was unfortunately not a fan.  Ugly to Start With by John Michael Cummings has an interesting style, but it wasn't for me.  I tried to be as fair as I could, but once I read the story that shares the novel's title, I was pretty much done.  In this story, the character treats his cat horribly.  I am a crazy animal lover so once I read this story I just couldn't stand behind Jason's character.  I might have become a little biased at this point, but I had a hard time finding the direction in this book.  I certainly was not the target audience for this book.  As always, decide for yourself what you like and what you don't like.  Even though I didn't care for this book, you just might.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...