*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, September 21, 2012

"Dick Van Dyke: My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business" by Dick Van Dyke

I guess you could say I have a guilty pleasure when it come to reading and that pleasure would be memoirs.  I just love them.  I recently came across Dick Van Dyke's My Lucky Life in and Out of Show Business and immediately checked it out for my kindle- and just couldn't put it down.  Admittedly I knew little of Van Dyke's acting outside of The Dick Van Dyke Show and Mary Poppins and knew nothing of his life outside of the spotlight.  His life in fascinating.  His stardom really was due to a lot of luck and being in the right places at the right time.  He rose from radio host to starring in his own show (though at the time he was still a little known actor).  But through his stardom he was still a dedicated father and husband (well, mostly).  It's always nice to come across the memoirs of someone that has really lived an interesting life that is worth documentation.  This book is not one of those that was written just to be another piece of merchandise for fans to buy.  It was written with real heart!

I kinda figure that this book is marketed more towards an older crowd (no offense).  It's no secret that I LOVE older television shows such as I Love Lucy, Petticoat Junction, and other black and white classics.  Sometimes I feel like I was born in the very wrong decade.  I don't see this book appealing to most younger readers, but I personally loved it and recommend it highly!



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...