*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

In Honor of Talk Like a Pirate Day...

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

I heard so many great thin's about this book prior t' readin' it. Just about every review gave it 5+ stars and made it sound like t' book o' t' year. I guess I went into it with too high expectations since I felt like it didn't quite live up t' t' hype. I'd be quite surprised if haven't heard about Katie McGarry's Pushin' t' Limits.

Noah lost both o' his parents in a house fire and since then has lost his younger brothers t' foster care. He gets supervised visits, but wants more. Echo has lost all memory from t' horrible night that port her almost went t' Davy Jones' locker. All she knows be that she be no longer allowed t' see her mother and her father and new stepmother have become over-protective.  She be now on a strict track towards business school and be no longer allowed t' pursue her dream o' bein' an artist. o' course t' two defy t' odds and fall madly in love.

 

This book deals with some uncommon topics and I appreciated that. It's not often that I come across a book about someone in foster care or one that puts aside all o' his needs in hopes o' gainin' custody o' someone else (at least not at this age). It's also not often that I come across a book where t' "bad parent" be t' mother. McGarry does give her characters and lot o' dept and a lot o' feelin'. I guess I struggled with how often I was frustrated at Echo and Noah.  It seems that they would do anythin' t' deny t' help offered by t' adults in their lives. Aye, I be all for characters that independent and self-sufficient, but when they have resources, they need t' use them! This was a really good book, but thar were several aggravatin' moments where I just wanted Noah and Echo t' get a clue and let others help them! 

 

This be certainly one o' those books that be a must read for t' year. There's always those books that define t' literature o' t' year and this book definitely makes that list! If you don't typically read many books, make aye this be one o' t' ones you do pick up.

 Happy Readin'!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...