*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"Pushing the Limits" by Katie McGarry

I heard so many great things about this book prior to reading it.  Just about every review gave it 5+ stars and made it sound like the book of the year.  I guess I went into it with too high expectations since I felt like it didn't quite live up to the hype.  I'd be quite surprised if you haven't heard about Katie McGarry's Pushing the Limits.

Noah lost both of his parents in a house fire and since then has lost his younger brothers to foster care.  He gets supervised visits, but wants more.  Echo has lost all memory from the horrible night that left her almost dead.  All she knows is that she is no longer allowed to see her mother and her father and new stepmother have become over-protective.  She is now on a strict track towards business school and is no longer allowed to pursue her dream of being an artist.  Of course the two defy the odds and fall madly in love.  

This book deals with some uncommon topics and I appreciated that.  It's not often that I come across a book about someone in foster care or one that puts aside all of his needs in hopes of gaining custody of someone else (at least not at this age).  It's also not often that I come across a book where the "bad parent" is the mother.    McGarry does give her characters and lot of dept and a lot of feeling.  I guess I struggled with how often I was frustrated at Echo and Noah.  It seems that they would do anything to deny the help offered by the adults in their lives.  Sure, I am all for characters that independent and self-sufficient, but when they have resources, they need to use them!  This was a really good book, but there were several aggravating moments where I just wanted Noah and Echo to get a clue and let others help them!  

This is certainly one of those books that is a must read for the year.  There's always those books that define the literature of the year and this book definitely makes that list!  If you don't typically read many books, make sure this is one of the ones you do pick up.



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...