*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Interview with Meredith Zeitlin, Author of "Sophomore Year is Greek to Me"

Sophomore Year is Greek to Me releases this month! 

What inspired Sophomore Year? I had a friend who mentioned that when she was a kid she used to live in Greece with her extended family for months at a time, during the school year. I thought that was such an interesting idea, to be IN school but not at YOUR school. Since the friend was Greek, I figured I’d make my my character Greek, too - especially because, with all the recent economic issues in that Greece in the last few years, there would be plenty for my character to discover and explore on her journey. I also wanted to continue writing the world I created for my first book (Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters) but through the eyes of a new main character. 



If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
I think of a mentor as someone you actually know who gives you advice, and I don't know anyone like that. But there are many, many writers that I admire. If I had to choose one, it would have to be Audrey Niffenegger. I think that The TIme-Traveler's Wife is the most beautifully, perfectly crafted novel I've ever read.
Oh - and JK Rowling. Because who has an imagination like that!?!?


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Actually doing it! I am the world's worst procrastinator, and I have to force myself sit down to write... I'm not successful that often. Once I get into a groove I can get a lot done, but there are just so many distractions everywhere. Not a very good example for other writers, I know!


While you were writing, do you ever feel as if you were one of the characters?
Absolutely! To research the book I went to Greece and traveled for three weeks - meeting people, exploring, visiting all kinds of places, taking notes... so Zona's journey reflects the experiences I had while I was there. It was so fun recreating my adventures to fit in with her storyline and the characters in her world.


What are you currently reading?

I'm usually reading a few books at a time. Yesterday I finished "Beautiful Garbage" by Jill Di Donato, which is a dark story set in the NYC art world of the 80s. Now I'm reading "Girl on a Train" by Paula Hawkins. Everyone keeps mentioning how great it is, so I finally gave in and bought a copy. Only about 40 pages in, but totally intrigued. And I've been reading "Pigeon in a Crosswalk" by Jack Gray before bed - it's a hilarious series of essays about his experiences moving to New York and working for Anderson Cooper. I'd recommend all three!

"SOPHOMORE YEAR IS GREEK TO ME" by Meredith Zeitlin - Book Trailer!!! from Meredith Zeitlin on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...