*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

"The Burnouts (Quarantine #3) " by Lex Thomas

*Note, there is going to be some spoilers if you haven't read the first two books. Unless you like spoilers, I suggest not reading this review.

https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1408161803l/18627443.jpgThis series actually surprised me. As it progressed, I wasn't sure if I was going to be happy with the ending, but am pleased to report that I feel that the Lex Thomas team took this novel in the right direction and gave it the ending it deserved. My only complaint about The Burnouts is that some moments were a little gorier then I would have liked, but I am the first to admit that I am a wuss when it comes to such things and it's there novel so they should write it the way they feel is necessary to tell the story.

The last novel ended with the reveal that David was still alive (please tell me I am not the only one who saw that coming) and this one opens on he and Will being reunited. Will learns what has been happening on the outside during the quarantine. Lucy is still in the school, and is once again alone. She has no one to help her survive and is going to find out something that will change her life completely. This realization soon sends David and Will back into the school where absolute chaos erupts when those still in the school find out that they have a chance at revenge.

This series has a lot of suspense. I read all three books rather quickly and am a little surprised that all three were good. I have found that many trilogies start of strong and end strong, but become very dull in the middle. The Quarantine series did not do this. I can't help but assume that a decent amount of planning went into each book so that the authors knew where each of the characters were going to go and how they were going to keep their audience interested throughout that journey. Like mentioned before, some of the subject matter was a little darker than I generally enjoy, but it's nice to see a set of books that can appeal to this that like a grittier story. I certainly plan to keep an eye out for more by the Lex Thomas team and hope to see more novels in the near future.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...