*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

" The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup and a Spool of Thread" by Kate DiCamillo


Title: The Tale of Despereaux
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Have I Read it Before: no

I think I just have to accept that I am not a fan of Kate DiCamillo (and by this, I mean her books. I'm sure she is a lovely person). I didn't care for Fiona & Ulysses, nor did I care for The Tale of Despereaux. I get the appeal of this book, but for me it was a little boring. I liked the overall premise; mouse is born under unusual circumstances, befriends a princess, is banished but comes back to save the day. The only thing that I can figure is I just don't care for DiCamillo's writing style.

I first tried to read this book soon after it was announced that it was the recipient of the 2004 Newbery Medal. I only got a few chapters in because it just didn't keep my interest. I was hopeful that reading it this time around would be a different experience, but sadly that was not the case. Overall I don't have much to say about this book other than I didn't enjoy it. I can see it appealing to those that love fairy tales, but are ready for something that is a bit more challenging to read, but I have a feeling it won't be one that I recommend to readers (instead, I'll probably stick with recommending The Sisters Grimm).




Happy Reading!

-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...