*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, May 23, 2014

"Guys Read: Other Worlds" edited by Jon Scieszka

I went into this book knowing that I may not like it. First off, I am not really a fan of science fiction. Second, I am not the biggest fan of short stories. I know this, but since beginning this blog I have been trying to read outside my "norm." Though that were several stories that just didn't keep my attention, I was surprised by how many were actually really good.

Guys Read: Out of this World contains ten stories from ten different authors, all with a science fiction or fantasy theme. Personally, I liked D.J. MacHale's The Scout the most. It really kept me interested and anxious to find out what would happen next. There were a couple of stories that I started but ended up skimming through to the end as they just weren't my cup of tea, but chalk that up to that I wasn't reading topics that I particularly enjoy. My only regret in reading this book is that I have yet to finish the Percy Jackson series yet. I worried that Rick Riordan's story in this compilation may have had spoilers (though at this point, I don't know for sure).

I am really impressed with the Guys Read program and highly recommend it to any boys that struggle with reading. These books of short stories are a great way to introduce boys to new authors. I didn't always read the name of the author of each piece until after finishing the story and noticed that the stories I enjoyed were by authors that I have read previously and liked (proof that I actually like the writing style of said authors). I am fairly certain that the reverse can be true for boys trying to find out what they like to read. Even those that aren't reluctant to read may find new books thanks to this book (and the others in the series). In addition, if there is a Guys Read program in your area, check it out- they really make reading fun!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...