*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, February 3, 2014

"When You Reach Me" by Rebecca Stead


Title: When You Reach Me
Author: Rebecca Stead
Have I Read it Before: No

http://shelflove.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/when-you-reach-me.jpg
Pretty sure I should have read A Wrinkle in Time before I  read Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me. There were plenty of references to it so I am hopeful nothing major was spoiled for me. Despite this, I loved this book. Miranda has been living a fairly normal life, but things are starting to get a little weird. She spends a lot of her time with her friend Sal, but when another boy punches Sal he stops spending time with Miranda. That's when everything begins to change. She starts receiving strange notes with small clues of future events. At first she finds it odd, but doesn't think to much of it until the events start happening, just as predicted in the notes. What is going on?
I knew absolutely nothing about this book before I read it, just that it was a Newbery book and therefore I was going to read it. It was a nice surprise to find just how much I enjoyed this book. I had no expectations going in (again, as I didn't know anything about the plot the entire book was an adventure) but am happy to say that it kept me engaged and entertained the whole way through. This may be silly, but my favorite parts of the story were when Miranda is helping her mother prepare for the $20,000 Pyramid, as show that I enjoy and miss watching.
I am so glad that this challenge has started off easy and with books that I enjoy. There are a few Newbery winners that I have started in the past and did not enjoy so I didn't finish them and I know I am going to put off reading them as long as possible. Thankfully, I am also discover some new books that I know will be favorites for a very long time.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...