*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, February 7, 2014

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry


Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
Have I Read it Before: Many Times

I had originally planned on saving The Giver for late in the year since it is one of my all time favorite books. However, I just couldn't wait that long. So excuse me while I gush for a bit.

Everything in Jonas' world is perfect. No one has ever known pain, hunger, or suffering. Every single thing from food, to the jobs, to the families is carefully monitored and controlled, but as no one knows anything different, no one questions this. It's not until Jonas is selected as the new Receiver of Memory does he discover that the world was once a very different place and he becomes determined to find a way experience the world for what it could be and not just for what he has always known.

This book is simply brilliant. It is one that I have read many times since I was barely a teen. Each time I read it I get more insight both about Jonas' struggle but about how I see my own world (probably the only time you will see me get even slightly political on this blog, even though I'm not really doing so). This is a book that I strongly encourage everyone read and one people should try to read more than once. As much as the love the Quartet as a whole, I don't feel that the rest of the books are quite as strong as The Giver, but if you read this one, then you must finish the series (please don't be one of those people that argues with other readers because they haven't read Messenger and Son!). If you only read one book this year, make it The Giver (and if you have already read it, read it again!).

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...