*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Interview with Author, Debra Doggett

*Part of my Local Author Spotlight!*
I am currently reading a book called "The Craft of the Wild Witch" by Poppy Palin. It's about releasing your inner self and finding your creative life.
I think that all the wonderful authors I read growing up influenced my writing the most. Those I read now I enjoy but the ones I read then changed me and deepened me. Two of my favorite authors, both gone now sadly, were Leon Uris and James Michener. I think both of them are not only the reason I am a writer but also why I am a historian. They made history come alive for me and their characters jumped off the page and into my heart. If I can follow their role models in the slightest way I'll be happy.
I don't have a writing schedule per se. I am finding that I need to make commitments to my writing so now I write a thousand words in the morning and a thousand in the evening. If I go over that number, great. But I'm committed to at least that much and it seems to be working for me. I also have a full-time job so that interferes with writing more, lol.
Oddly enough, I don't listen to anything when I write. There is background noise but mostly silence. I love music and it inspires me when I am in the musing phase, but when I write it is a distraction cause I do love it and get caught up in the music instead of my writing.
The piece I have written that I am most proud of was my dad's eulogy. I know that sounds morbid but I felt like I was able to let people know what a wonderful man he was and what a great father. I was grateful for my gift of words then because I could use them to help me and my family through our grief.

Website
Another Face in the Crowd
Twitter
Facebook
The Prize
Gambler's Moon 

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...