*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

"Stolen Children" by Peg Kehret

I hate to say it, but I found this book rather boring.  The synopsis is great: Amy and her baby-sitting charge, Kendra, are kidnapped and held for ransom.  It is up to Amy to hide clues in the videos taken by the kidnappers in hopes that the clues will lead to their rescue- without getting caught!  This is one of those books that you expect will have you on the edge of your seat as you desperately await a happy ending.  What I got was a snoozer.

Maybe I went into this with expectations that were way to high, but I wasn't expecting a book where things happened because the author could make them happen (sorry Kehret).  Amy gives a clue based on something she has written knowing that her best friend will figure out the clue.  Her friend hasn't read Amy's writing yet, but thankfully when her friend goes missing she decides to do some reading.  Amy's other clues just seem too out there for anyone to figure out (much less think of).  I haven't read any of Peg Kehret's other books but I really hope that they are better than this one.  Since she seems to be such an experienced writer I was very surprised by this book.  It seems that her plot would make a little more sense.

I can definitely say that I am not a fan of Stolen Children.  If you want something on this topic but with better writing, check out Joan Lowery Nixon's The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore (which I will be re-reading soon).

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...