*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Titanic Sinks!: Experience the Titanic's Doomed Voyage in this Unique Presentation of Fact and Fiction by Barry Denenberg



Titanic Sinks!: Experience the Titanic's Doomed Voyage in this Unique Presentation of Fact

I was really into this book upon the initial reading of it.  I had no idea  that someone had kept a detailed journal of their voyage aboard the Titanic and that the journal had survived!  So imagine my disappointment when I found out that the account was fictionalized despite the author’s note explaining that is was taped to a man that was rescued but did not survive.  I felt a little betrayed.  Even worse, I looked at it from the perspective of children reading this.  I am willing to bet to that most of them are not going to spend their time reading the final author’s note at the end of the book and because this book was classified as non-fiction…well, let’s just say that there are going to be many history reports with false information.

Aside from this flaw, I really enjoyed this book.  It had been awhile since I had come across a new Titanic book and I enjoyed the lists of items that were aboard the famous ship (number of sheets, and types of food for example).  It was clear that Denenberg did his research and does present the information in a unique format I just would have preferred to be informed up front what parts of the book were fictionalized and which parts were not.  Overall, this is a great book for this interested in the Titanic but young readers should have a clear explanation of the differences between fact and fiction before reading it.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...