*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, August 19, 2011

“Impulse” by Ellen Hopkins


Part 1: Impulse
(Part 2 will be my review of Ellen Hopkins' Perfect which is set be released September 13, 2011)

If you have read anything by Ellen Hopkins, you likely know to expect a novel told in verse.  When I first read Crank (her debut YA novel), I found this a rather odd way to format a book, but as I read tons of YA literature, I'm seeing that this is a new trend in books and have fallen in love with it.

Impulse tells the story of three teens, Conner, Vanessa, and Tony.  Each has their own reason for being a resident at Aspen Springs, each recovering in a facility in Nevada or, as Conner puts it, “a lockdown where crazies pace.”  Conner is sent to Aspen Springs after attempting to commit suicide.  Vanessa has a cutting problem.  Tony was found in the streets not long after ingesting far too many drugs and alcohol and nearly escaping death's grasp.  Each needs help.  Each needs each other.

Through her magnificent writing (major fan-girlsisms for this author) Hopkins spins the tales of three teens who have a rough start.  Three teens the reader can't help but want to see overcome their problems and become better people. 

I have read this book twice now.  The first time, I finished it and sat for quite awhile in shock.  It's rare for me to attempt to try and guess how a book is going to end, but I certainly did not expect the ending in this book.  I desperately wanted to reach out and comfort the characters upon finding out their fate.  Few authors have done this for me, and even fewer have the ability to evoke these same feelings upon a re-read.  Though her subject matter is usually dark (perhaps not the kind of books you'd want to take on a beach vacation?), all of her characters will captivate you and pull on your heartstrings.  If you haven't yet, go to your nearest bookstore, library, or online book seller and try at least one of her books.  I can almost guarantee that you will be back for more.




Check out Ellen on LiveJournal, Twitter, and Facebook!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

2 comments:

  1. Thanks much, Melly.... Re-reading can often bring new insights. Thanks for taking the time to re-read. And hope you love PERFECT, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Ellen! Means the WORLD to me!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...