*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

"Elixir" by Hilary Duff with Elise Allen

 
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.  I picked it up at a Borders closing sale, thinking something along the lines of “well, it’s paperback, and on sale” and (admittedly), I spent much of my tween years watching Hilary Duff movies and listening to her music so I figured I would give it a shot.  I assumed it would be a quick read that would end with the book being placed on bookshelf, never to be perused again.  Instead I found it difficult to put down and finished it only a few days.  I was instantly caught up in Clea’s story and was intrigued as she discovered shadowy images of a man in the photos she took while on vacation with her best friend Rayna.

Though it is not the main focus, I loved that Clea is a photographer.  I especially enjoyed that despite her high socialite status, she was not just handed the job, but instead had to submit under a fake name to even be considered for publication (this is really a minor part of the story, but I felt that it gave Clea quite a bit of character development.  It told me that even though she was a celebrity, she was willing to work for what she wanted).  On the other hand, I found it strange that the daughter of a surgeon and a politician would gain so much media attention.

This aside, I enjoyed the book.  Clea’s dreams captivated me.  I turned page after page wanting to find out

why she was dreaming of the man in her photos, and why she was someone new in each of these dreams, and why each of these women meets a fatal end.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with this book and may be less likely to harshly judge young actors/actresses who publish a novel (at least until after I’ve read said novel).  I am now one of the many anxiously waiting for a sequel.  I hate when books end on a cliffhanger (this one does) because I am left with an earnest need to find out what happens to the characters (which I know is the point).  Because of this, there is a good chance that I will be picking up Duff and Allen's Devoted soon after it comes out.

Check out the Elixir book trailer from Simon and Schuster!


On a separate note, I am in the process of moving and will be without at-home internet connection for a bit.  However, without the distractions that come from facebook, twitter, youtube, and the like, I will hopefully get tons of reading and reviewing done.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...