*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

“Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus” by Mo Willems



Is it possible to not fall in love with Mo Willems' Pigeon books?  It is my favorite series to read out loud to a group of children especially Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (there is nothing better than using my best Pigeon voice to beg and plead to be allowed to drive the bus only to have the kids respond with a giant ‘NOO!’).   

Working in a library, I see many picture books that are a fairly simple read but none have captured my attention in quite the same way.  Though I have read and re-read these books, I still find myself giggling out load as I read them.  The size of the text is good for early readers and though the pictures are simple, I find them brilliant.   

I love that the book starts off by immediately asking children if they can keep an eye on the bus for the bus driver.  In doing so, Willems instantly pulls his audience into the story and gives young children a task to accomplish.  This book is a must read for parents of small children (as well as their grandparents, aunts, uncles, baby-sitters, and anyone else who has ever read a book to a child).  Even if you don’t have children to share this story with, I recommend giving it a chance, you won’t regret it!


Check all of the books in the series!
  ·         The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
·         The Pigeon Wants a Puppy

You can check out what’s going on with @The_Pigeon by following him on Twitter!

 

And check out this amazing
cake from CakeCentral.com!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...