*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, March 28, 2014

"Darkest Fear" (Birthright #1) by Cate Tiernan

Sometimes when I am not sure how to start a review, I look at what other people have to say about that book. It looks like Cate Tiernan's Darkest Fear isn't getting the best reception and I hate to say that there is a part of me that sort of agrees. I first discovered Cate Tiernan quite by accident. I hit a little bit of a reading rut back in high school (back when I had the time to read at least one book a day and felt like I was actually running out of things to read) and ended up checking out several books, all the first in a series. The only one that really grabbed me was Book of Shadows, the first in the Sweep series. I loved it and devoured the rest of the series. Since then, Tiernan became one of those authors whose books instantly went on my TBR list.  I was so excited when Darkest Fear showed up at my library and I couldn't wait to read it. But upon finishing it, I felt almost empty. I know it's not fair to base how much I like one book based on another, but I just can't help but compare this book to some of Tiernan's other writing. The world created in Sweep is so vivid, the characters so strong so I know that there's the potential to get that again, but Darkest Fear didn't do this, in my opinion.

Vivi knows that her family is different. She has known this since she was thirteen. However, that doesn't mean she is happy about it. She does everything in her power to deny her heritage. Things begins to change on her birthday, when her parents are killed (this isn't much of a spoiler, it happens in Chapter 1). This sets her on the path to find out what is going on in the secret world of family and find out about the rest of the Haguari in the world. She soon discovers that she knew very little about her family and her heritage and this lack of knowledge is putting her and the ones she begins to care about in danger.

I am very hopeful for the rest of this series. It's not often that I come across a book that I find to be this unique and I really want to like it. My fingers are crossed that this book was establishing the characters and plot and that future books will be strong. I accept that I may never get a series that I love the same way that I love Sweep, but since I know that Tiernan is a great author, I am holding out for an amazing sequel.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...