*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, August 12, 2013

"Better To Wish" by Ann M. Martin

A new series by Ann M. Martin features Abby Nichols and her family.  In Better to Wish, the chapters capture a day in her life from when she is a child to when she is a young adult.  She is growing up in the 1930s and experiences the Great Depression, her family's financial stability but lack of personal stability, new siblings and many other changes along the way.

I enjoyed this book and think that it is a great way to begin to introduce elements of history into the lives of younger readers (especially girls- boys probably won't care for this book as much).  However, there was one thing I really didn't like.  The book is set up so that we see snapshots of her life and I feel that cuts down on the amount of character development a book needs in order for me to really care about the characters.  I read this book rather quickly and when I was done, I didn't feel like it had much of an impact on me.  I may also have some prejudice because so many of Ann's other characters are practically family they have stuck in my mind and been such a huge part of my life.  I won't judge this book too much until the rest of the series is out, but if it weren't for the fact that it says Ann M. Martin on the cover, I must admit I might not plan on completing the series.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...