*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

"Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons" by Eric Litwin, Created & Illustrated by James Dean


How had I not read this book sooner?  I loved it!  Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons is wonderful!  In this book, Pete starts off with four buttons.  But as time goes on he looses one button.  Then another.  Then another!  But even though his favorite shirt soon becomes button-less he still keeps a good attitude and sings a song about his four groovy buttons.

For me it is natural to use children's books as some sort of teaching activity.  What color is this?  How many are there?  Things like that.  This book takes that concept and runs with it.  As the number of buttons decreases, a bit of math is thrown into the mix so that the kids can see what is happening.  I'm sure most little ones won't completely grasp what 4-1=3 is, but I like that it at least starts putting the idea of subtraction into their minds.  I also like that Pete doesn't get angry or upset over his buttons.  Not only are kids developing some math skills, they are also getting a lesson on attitude and how to accept things that are beyond their control.  I am totally going to be reading more books about Pete!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...