*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

"The Berenstain Bears' Mad, Mad, Mad Toy Craze" by Stan and Jan Berenstain

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A19C2qJl2FL.jpgAs a parent, I'm not sure if there is anything more confusing than toy fads that involve toys you can't play with. Even as a child, I didn't 'get it.' I remember when Beanie Babies were a craze and I collected them, but I also played with them. I even *gasp* cut the tags off. However, there are those toys that pop-up that I just don't get the appeal of. So when I first saw The Berenstain Bears' Mad, Mad, Mad Toy Craze, I chuckled because of subject manner. However, I am not able to recommend this book.

Like the rest of the cubs in Bear Country, Brother and Sister become obsessed with collecting Bearie Bubbies. They have to have them, they just have to. When the stores run out, their friends start selling them (at a ridiculous price of course). They start popping up everywhere and soon the Bear's tree house is filled to the brim with these stuffed critters. It seems like there is not end in sight for the madness that is Bearie Bubbies.

This book left me with a "what just happened?" feel when I finished it. I am so used to The Berenstain Bears leaving me with a life lesson of some sort- don't talk to strangers, eat junk food in moderation, do your homework, that sort of thing. This book just ends. There is no moral, no lesson, nothing. I even checked to make sure that there weren't pages stuck together or missing because there literally was no ending to the story. After looking at it's Goodreads page, I saw that I wasn't the only person left confused upon completion. It felt like Stan and Jan had a deadline they didn't meet, so they just sent the book off without the last few pages. Or maybe, like me, the Berenstains didn't 'get it' either so they just didn't put their normal amount of effort into this book. Either way, if you're looking for book to read with the kiddos, feel free to pass on this one.

Happy Reading!

-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...