*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

"We Are the Goldens" by Dana Reinhardt

http://yaloveblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/We-Are-The-Goldens-202x300.jpg
I wanted to like this book, I really did, but sadly I did not. Nell and her sister Layla used to be extremely close, but as time goes by they seem to get farther and farther apart. Eventually Nell finds out that Layla has a secret that could ruin her reputation. Nell discovers that Layla has a secret relationship with one of her teachers and Nell is torn on what she should do.

I thought that the premise for this book was very promising. Stories of students getting romantically involved with their teachers are in the news often enough that the idea of a story told from a bystanders perspective seems like it could be a really intriguing novel. That said, Dana Reinhardt's We Are the Goldens just didn't work for me. I think it was a combination of her writing style and that the plot drug and was often times very dry. There was never a time when I really cared about the characters and just as I was beginning to gain hope that the plot was about to (finally) pick up, the novel ended. Honestly, the only real positive with this book is that it gave me an idea for a novel I may potentially write someday.

Usually when I read a book that I didn't like very much, I try to seek out other books by that author so that I can try to give them a fair chance. Several of Reinhardt's books sound interesting, particularly Harmless, so I plan on giving her writing another shot and hope that this book was just fluke and I will like other books she has written. 

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...