*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, May 19, 2014

"Tap Tap Boom Boom" by Elizabeth Bluemle, Illustrated by G. Brian Karas

http://www.elizabethbluemle.com/images/Tap_Tap_Boom_Boom_cover_photo-330.jpg
As I sit down to write this review, I can't help if I am a little biased. The way I experienced this story was phenomenal. The children's librarian at my library had the kids in storytime tap out a rhythm that she used to read the story. The kids did a great job of keeping a stead tempo and this resulted in a great rendition of Elizabeth Bluemle's Tap Tap Boom Boom.

A storm is brewing above the city, thunder is rumbling and the rain begins to fall. People take shelter in the subway, but still most mange to get wet. Strangers become unlikely friends during the storm as they help one another by sharing umbrellas and waiting for the storm to end. The rain eventually stops and the characters and reader are presented with a rainbow at the end of the book.

Like I said before, my experience with this book was perfect. Had I simply read the book on it's own, I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it nearly as much. It is written with rhythm and is the kind of book that must be read aloud to be enjoyed. It would also be a great book to share during an actual thunderstorm; tapping out the beat of the book could distract kiddos that are less than thrilled by the sound of a storm outside.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...