*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, May 10, 2014

"I Want to Go to the Moon" by Tom Saunders, Illustrated by Cynthia Nugent

This book is wonderful and so inspiring! It tells the very basic tale of a young Neil Armstrong and his desire to go to the moon. It follows him from very young to finally meeting his goal. Though everyone tells Neil that it is impossible to go to the moon and no one will ever get there, he never lets go of his dream. He works hard in school, begins working at NASA and (as we all know) eventually is the first man to walk on the moon. The book can be read alone or paired with it's accompanying CD (though fair warning, the tune is very catchy and will likely be in your head). It's a great book to share with children to help them realize that with hard work and determination they can be anything.

I just adore this book. The message is wonderful and it is a lot of fun to get kids to sing along with it. Though it isn't the most accurate if you are using it to get information on Armstrong's life (who had a fascinating life by the way), the focus of I Want to Go to the Moon is really on making your own dreams come true. This is a must read for any child that needs inspiration or encouragement, and possibly some adults too. I look forward to the day when I can afford to buy every children's book that catches my eye and I know that this one will certainly be added to that collection!



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...