*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, May 8, 2014

"Bob and Otto" by Robert O. Bruel, Illustrated by Nick Bruel

I love this book! It's perfect for kids learning about the transformation of caterpillars to butterflies and also has the element of a wonderful friendship. Otto is a worm and Bob is a caterpillar. The two get along great, but one day Bob decides that he needs to climb a tree. Otto doesn't go with him (obviously) but instead burrows into the ground. Time passes and Bob turns into a butterfly. The two begin to miss each other and are soon reunited. They realize that they are very different, but this does nothing to change their friendship.

I was introduced to this book at a storytime at my library that was butterfly themed. I really enjoyed that this book can be used to cover more than one topic. It briefly covers how a caterpillar changes into a butterfly as well as the function of worms. It doesn't go into a lot of detail, but for younger kids, this works. It also gives great insight into the many layers of friendship and how even though we may change, our relationships can be maintained. Though kiddos may not fully grasp this concept yet, it's never too early to introduce such ideas. I think Robert O. Bruel has a real winner with this book. I was very impressed with how much he was able to fit into a small story. I also really enjoyed the art style (who doesn't love Nick Bruel?). I read so many books that it is just impossible to buy them all, but Bob and Otto is one that I will certainly be buying soon.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...