*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

"The Here and Now" by Ann Brashares

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhpBI5T9whlMf_jzJtSgt9iZA6A7LdGcexS_CIS9CssSld_RgA1ZSh2ge8UCgXRUBimO41hG17ZKkH1YGh1fHiV3ArIWEB6cU0S_2JaXk1_i25BZXKYHk_5hv2dEq1MC3dQM_qBhFkL_5kt/s1600/The+Here+And+Now+by+Ann+Brashares.jpg
I chose to read this book because it's written by Ann Brashares, but even so, I was apprehensive. I absolutely adore The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series, but I wasn't sure if I would like a science fiction novel by Brashares. Thankfully, I think that she is a writer that can handle writing in more than one genre. Prenna isn't from around here. And by "here" I mean 2014. She has actually traveled from the future along with  a small population of people that have somehow managed to survived a horrible pandemic. Most of the population did not survive, but the few that manged to escape live among us, hiding their true existence.Every bit of Prenna's life is monitored to make sure she follows the strict rules set to keep their identities a secret. But as the reader, we know that everything is not as it seems and that conflict is going to unfold soon. Very quickly, things began to change for Prenna. Along with a boy named Ethan, she begins to discover the truth about her existence and the past of her people led to the life she barely escaped. It is up to her and Ethan to change the future and keep the world safe.
Overall, I am not a fan of science fiction. Even many dystopians are too "sciencey" for my taste. Because of this I wasn't sure if I would make it through this book. I am so glad that Brashares was able to write The Here and Now, a book that has enough good characters and interesting plots to make me keep reading. I'm also glad that she doesn't spend page after page writing about the science behind the plot (there is nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't appeal to my reading tastes). Since there is a romance factor, I do see it appealing more to girls, but I think that there is enough action going to to keep the interest of any YA readers that are interested in science fiction, time travel and characters on wild adventures happy.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...