*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, February 24, 2014

"The Little Moose Who Could Not Sleep - A Maynard Moose Tale" by Willy Claflin, Illustrated by James Stimson

As someone who is lucky enough to have seen many storytellers in person, Willy Claflin being one of them, I think that The Little Moose Who Couldn't Go to Sleep would translate much better when being told instead of being read. While the tale is extremely cute, it was a little too long and I have found that picture books with big chunks of texts tend to lose kids' interest quickly.

The premise of this book is great. Little Moose just can't sleep no matter how hard she tries. Her brain just won't be quiet and she is up all night. Because of this she can't pay attention in school and her teachers, principal and parents aren't too happy. They keep trying to figure out how she can fall asleep. She eats legumes, goes to bed early and even counts sheep. Will anything help her fall asleep?

This is the kind of book that would be great for a kiddo in a situation similar to Little Moose's. However, there were a couple of things that kind of let me down. Length was a big one.  While I often read children's books for my own enjoyment, I can't help but read them with a kids reaction in mind. I just can't see most kids sitting still while this book is being read to them. Because I have seen Claflin tell stories I am almost certain that it's verbal rendition would keep their attention better. That being said, the copy I reviewed did not come with an audio cd so there's the possibility that reading the book along with said cd would make for a better experience. Overall, I did like this book. The illustrations are adorable and the plot is very fun. Definitely recommend tracking down some videos of Claflin for kiddos (and adults) that like this book- or better yet, go see him in person!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...