*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

"This Is What Happy Looks Like" by Jennifer E. Smith

http://www.jenniferesmith.com/images/happy.jpg
Graham and Ellie met over the internet completely by accident (I think this is the PSA moment where I tell you to be careful about meeting people over the internet. Or something) when he misspelled an email address and ended up emailing Ellie instead, therefore starting their conversation. A few months later, Graham is in Ellie's small Maine town filming a movie. After months and months of emails he figures that there is something blossoming between them. Too bad Ellie is less than impressed when they meet in real life. This is What Happy Looks Like is the story of two teenagers that you know are going to fall in love but it is going to take some time for them to get there.

I hate that I haven't gotten around to The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight yet (this is partially due to how often is checked out at the library, which tells me that it has got to be a great book) but I feel a little less guilty about this since finishing Happy. I really enjoyed this book. I liked how it integrated Graham and Ellie's emails into the story and feel that Smith uses this technique to further enhance the story. It's also very interesting to see how Graham and Ellie's relationship forms, especially from Ellie's point of view. At the beginning of the novel it's clear that she values her online relationship with Graham, but since she doesn't actually know who he is, it's funny that she is annoyed by the presence of the famous celebrity in her town. She becomes quite conflicted and has to figure out which emotion will overcome.

Both teens have many struggles they must face in this book, primarily struggles with their families. Both grow and mature so much throughout the course of this book and their stories really show how a short amount of time can still make you a better person. Unfortunately it is winter because I would recommend this book as a great beach read. You could save it for summer, but I don't think it would be worth waiting that long to read this book.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...