*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"Space (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #6)" by Will Osborne & Mary Pope Osborne, Illustrated by Sal Murdocca

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/9780375813566_p0_v1_s260x420.JPGI have always liked non-fiction books. I remember being frustrated as an early elementary student because we had to stick to the picture book section, but I always found myself wanting to go look at the "big kid books" many of which were in the non-fiction section. Reading Space as an adult really makes me wish that I could have read some of these books as a kid.

The problem with some non-fiction books for kids is how dry the material can be. I learned at a young age how to skim these books for the information I needed for research and then was done with the book. The thing I like about the Magic Tree House Fact Tracker books is that the information presented has a lot of facts, but is still enjoyable to read. I know that had these books been out when I was in the second or third grade, I would have read them like crazy and would have learned a thing or two while doing so (and much of the information covered in Space was information that I remember learning about both in middle and high school so that would have been an advantage as well). I think it is so awesome that these books go along with titles in the regular Magic Tree House series (for instance, Space specifically ties in to Midnight on the Moon) and will encourage kids that learn more about the places they visit in the books. While working at the library, I have noticed that I tend to get more requests for reading recommendations for boys and I can honestly say that now that I know more about this series, I will certainly be adding it to my list of books to suggest!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...