*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"Sink or Swim (Whatever After #3)" by Sarah Mlynowski

http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780545415699_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
This is nit-picky, but where is Abby's watch?
Abby and Jonah are back and this time they are visiting the world of The Little Mermaid in Sink or Swim. This time, Abby really wants to mess up the fairy tale because she knows that if the mermaid doesn't marry the prince, then the mermaid will be no longer. Things would be a little easier if she wasn't afraid to swim. Things start off a mess because Abby and Jonah accidentally scare the mermaid off, but soon they are able to talk to her (turns out her name is Lana). Abby does her best to convince Lana not to go to the sea witch, but before she knows it Lana has traded her fins for legs and it's up to Abby to once again create a happily ever after.

The Little Mermaid is my all time favorite Disney movie. I have loved it longer than I can remember. So you can imagine my horror when I found out the ending of the original story. I am really glad that Mlynowski acknowledges that the Disney versions of many of these fairy tales are cleaned up so you don't have to worry about them giving your kids nightmares (though as a child, Ursula getting electrocuted always freaked me out a lot). I really felt for Abby in this book. The weight on her shoulders this time around is enormous. Before, if she failed the princess would just miss out on the prince. But if she messes up this time, then there won't be anything left of the princess.

Like the rest of the series, this book is mostly made of lighthearted moments with plenty of humor. Jonah acts like a real little brother with most of his focus on having fun rather than saving the day or finding a way home (though I like his logic that they can't go home until the adventure is over). Abby worries a little too much and takes on a little more than she can handle, but always comes out learning about herself and becoming a better person for it. This series is one that I think that all young girls should read. They focus so much on being true to yourself and not changing who you are for someone else and the characters are some of the best role models I have ever encountered in the literary world. If you haven't yet, check them out!



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...