*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, January 27, 2014

"Plan B" by Charnan Simon

This book needed more plot! The story in Plan B takes place over just a couple of weeks and there just wasn't enough to keep me fully engaged. While I get that this is the kind of book that is purposefully short, I wanted so much more out of the story.
Lucy has been dating Luke for about six months. When they find out that Luke's getting a scholarship opportunity, she decides they should celebrate and one thing (and a little alcohol) leads to another and as this book is about a teenage pregnancy, you can probably figure out what that thing is. Before long, Lucy figures out that she is pregnant and soon she and Luke have to figure out what they will do with their lives and the baby's.
I read this book mostly because my NaNoWriMo novel is about a pregnant teen and I was looking for some more perspective and inspiration. I have read an awful lot of books that focus on teenage pregnancy and lately have been focusing on what elements I need to include in my own work (as this is a topic I haven't personally gone through, a little help goes a long ways). Sadly I don't think I got much out of this read. I felt that the characters weren't very fleshed out and while the ending was bold, I felt that it was a lot of build-up with no result. At the very least, I would have appreciated an epilogue. I try to be well read and since I work in a library, I try to be aware of as many books as possible. I plan on reading at least one more book in the Surviving Southside series so as to get a better idea of how the series is formatted, but if the rest of the books fall as flat, I won't be likely to recommend them.

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...