*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Oz the Great and Powerful" pseudo review

Alright, so I'm not the biggest fan of reviewing movies.  For some reason it's harder for me to state my opinion without giving way to much info about the movie.  And since I hate spoilers, here's a basic rundown of what I liked and didn't like about this film.

Likes

  • The nods to the original film and the books
    • A reference to someone named Gale
    • The China Girl (and she really had the best story in the film)
  • The opening credit sequence.  As a kid, I absolutely hated the opening of the original (to this day, I am rarely a fan of long openings that do nothing but a role call of the cast/crew) but this opener was fun and whimsical
  • The backstory of the witches, I would have liked a little bit more of that

Dislikes
  • WAY too much emphasis on CG.  I really missed that practical effects of the original movie and felt that this movie spent too much time showing off the advances in technology
  • The writing...the actors were pretty awesome, but most the dialogue was just awkward
  • The opening black and white and the transition to color.  I feel that the black and white sequence needed to be "aged" and not look like it was filmed in modern day.  And come on, the first time we see Oz through the doorway of Dorothy's house?  That was magical.  This time...it was not...
  • The ending (and by ending, I mean the closing scene, not the climax of the movie).  It really lacked any substance.  I wanted something more from it.  Frankly, it was kind of a bore.
  • The lack of character bonding.  It was hard to root for anyone in this movie.  But that could also be because I mostly figured out how it was going to end.
Really, I don't recommend this movie.  I feel like it's rather unnecessary.  I would much rather see the sequels made into films, than adaptations of the story (I don't want to see Harry Potter's Big Awesome Adventure so why did I think I would care for this film.  And for the record, I totally made that title up).  

What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...