*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, March 4, 2013

"Mallory and the Trouble with Twins" by Ann M. Martin


This was always one of my favorite BSC books.  Mallory and the Trouble with Twins is our first encounter with Marilyn and Carolyn Arnold.  When Mallory first sits for the twins, she is greeted by two identically dressed girls- the only difference is that they are labeled by bracelets marked with their names.  Of course the minute Mal exclaims that they are cute and makes a reference to their twin-ness- off go the bracelets and the girls more or less terrorize Mallory.  This continues throughout the rest of the book until Mal realizes that the girls are acting out because they want to be seen as two unique people, not as one set of twins.  So Mallory helps them talk to their mother and they begin to gain their own identities.  Helping the girls helps Mallory approach her own parents and ask if she can start to look more grown-up and get her ears pierced- and they say yes!

This is one of the cheesier books in the series at times.  It's hard to believe the Arnold parental units would be so oblivious to the children's misery.  Not only do they not notice that the girls are unhappy being treated as one person, a few books late they don't seemed concerned when the girls begin fighting constantly because neither one has her own space.  Though, too be fair, we never see Mr. Arnold, so maybe he has a clue.  Maybe it's just Mrs. Arnold that's a bit spacey.  Mrs. Arnold's first appearance in the novel shows us that she is very cutesy.  Her first outfit seems to be made up entirely of bows, so I totally understand why she dresses Marilyn and Carolyn like dolls.  That part makes sense.  I'm just glad the BSC keeps coming to the rescue so that the girls aren't miserable anymore.

The last bit of this novel reminded me of that brief period in the third grade where I desperately wanted pierced ears.  I think this book must of been the influence on that decision but let's just say it didn't work out.  Now the idea of pieces of metal sticking through my ears freaks me out so bad, I even had some difficulty reading that chapter.  I didn't react quite as bad as Claire, but it was close.  Thankfully the majority of the club gets their ears pierced so I only have to get through this one time (unless I am forgetting a significant detail in Mary Anne's Make-Over- but I don't think I am).

Happy Reading!
-Melly

Glad to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to attempt this challenge.  Head over to Sarah Millar's blog and see what she and other bloggers have to say about the good ole BSC.  

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorites too! :) I always thought the parents were completely oblivious too and totally wrapped up in their own worlds. Here's my review of it: http://giveahootreadabook.blogspot.com/2011/11/review-mallory-trouble-with-twins-baby.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...