*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" by Virginia Lee Burton

Can you believe it took my nearly 24 years to find the time to read this book?  I am disgusted with myself as this book is brilliant!  Written and illustrated by Virginia Lee Burton, Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel is the story of Mike and Mary Anne, the steam shovel that supposedly can dig in a day what would take 100 men a week to do.  Mike and Mary Anne are put to the test when newer technology begins to push them out of jobs.  They have one last chance when they find a job in Popperville.  If they can dig the basement for the new town hall in one day, they will get paid for the job and no longer be useless. If they can't they will not be paid.  Will they succeed?

This story is very similar to The Little House (makes sense, same author).  It discusses how things are changing and how the next bigger and better thing is always coming, but that doesn't mean we should just discard the past.  I know that had I read this book as a child, I would have wanted to know more about the era the book is set it (this is how I reacted to The Little House at least).  I can't believe I didn't read this sooner.  My only experience with this book was the references made in Beverly Cleary's Ramona series.  On more than one occasion I have been introduced to one book thanks to another.  Why this book didn't make the list, I'll never know.  I f you haven't read this book yet, you must!  If you have read it, I applaud you!

Happy Reading!
-Melly




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...