*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Venn" by Roxanne Hunter

There was just something about Roxanne Hunter's Venn that kept me from finding any enjoyment.  I'm not sure if it was the content or the writing style, but this book was not for me.  This saddens me a bit because it seems to have received high ratings from everyone but me.  I just couldn't get into the story.  Perhaps the subject matter was too dark for my liking?  The story switches between Jessie's point of view and her alter-ego of sorts Venn.  Jessie is being held prisoner for a crime Venn committed.  Though there was quite a bit of depth to the story, I was put off by the violence and some of the gruesome descriptions (nothing against the writing or the author- I am be far one of the most squeamish people on the planet).  The formatting of the writing threw me off as well.  Since I read it on my kindle I wasn't certain if this was the way it was supposed to be formatted, but it seemed that the chapter breaks were randomly dispersed throughout the novel (again, the formatting could have been off due to reading it on my kindle- that has happened before).  I don't have any desire to read the sequels.  But since so many other readers enjoyed this book, I can't help but encourage other readers too take a look at Hunter's book and form their own opinion.

Happy Reading!
-Melly




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...