*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Friday, October 26, 2012

"The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm" by Patricia MacLachlan


***This review may contain spoilers, depending on if you have read the original series or not, or just how much you don't want  to know plot details of this book***

When it comes to movies, I am pretty much over the sequel, prequel, and reboot trend.  Occasionally there are those that fit this category that are exceptional (The Dark Knight Rises, Toy Story 3, and little else), but overall I am a little sick of it.  Now it seems that I am becoming a little wary of books that fall into this category as well.  I had so much anticipation for What I think surprised me the most was that I felt so strongly about this even knowing that this wasn’t the first Boxcar book to be written by someone other than Gertrude Chandler Warner.  It just didn’t give off the same feel as the rest of the books.

It’s very likely that I went into this book with expectations that were too high.  Having loved this series for around 15 years, that seems the most likely.  I do think that if this were a stand alone book I would have enjoyed it more than this book that was based around already established characters.  I won’t be doing very much to get others enthused about reading it, but as always I feel that it is up to the reader up to decide what they think.

Happy Reading!
-Melly



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...