*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

"Aloha, Kanani" by Lisa Yee


This is not my first novel by  Lisa Yee, but Aloha, Kanani is the first American Girl book that Yee has penned that I have read (if that makes sense).  I have loved, loved, loved the American Girls for many years.  As I went from one era to another I discovered more about history that I think I ever would have learned otherwise.  I still get a thrill when I find a new book has been published.


Kanani is such an inspiration.  She comes across as a real girl.  She tries to do the right thing, but sometimes doesn't know how to go about this.  In the book, Kanani is trying to make her cousin Rachel's visit to Hawaii as wonderful as possible, but struggles when it's clear that Rachel isn't having the grand trip Kanani planned.  Also featured in the book are the  Hawaiian Monk Seals, an endangered species that Kanani and Rachel learn about and work to save.  

If there was anything that I didn't like was the lack of illustrations I am accustomed to in other AG books.  But I did love that the last few pages were dedicated to the stories of real girls and what they are doing to help animals in their community.  These books truly can help girls become the best people they can be.  I am anxious to read the sequel, Good Job, Kanani!  I really appreciate this book.


Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...