*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

I think I sometimes jump on the bandwagon for popular books a little late and this was no exception.  Boy, was I missing out.  I had little desire to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins until I saw the trailer for the upcoming movie last week.  Waiting was a mistake.  This book is AMAZING!  From the very beginning I was on the edge of my seat and could barely put the book down (there are not many books that I stay up late and wake up early to read).  It is magnificent!

If you are in the very small percentage of book nerds that hasn't read The Hunger Games let me clue you in.  Katniss lives in a world very different from our own.  To remind the citizens of what used to be North America of the mistakes made in the nation's history, each of the 12 districts must give up one young woman and one young man to compete in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death where one will live and twenty-three will die.  When Katniss' sister is selected as tribute for District 12, Katniss selflessly volunteers to take her place.  She then enters a world even stranger than the one she left, a world where people horribly change their appearance to appear beautiful, feast on wonderful foods everyday, and take pleasure in the deaths of children.


I have read many reviews referring to Katniss as the anti-Bella.  There is no better description for our heroine.  She is a wonderful role model for girls- powerful, brave, and self sufficient only a few words that I feel accurately describe her.  This book has action, romance, fantasy and can appeal to all readers, both male and female.  If you haven't read this yet, trust me, you are missing out!  Get a copy, read, and enjoy!

Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...