*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

Words cannot describe the brilliance of Kathryn Stockett's The Help.  Once I started the book I could hardly put it down.  And it took me quite awhile to start the book since I had to wait several months to get my hands on a copy (in case you haven't noticed, it is insanely popular).  I am usually not as up to date on books from the Adult Fiction area, I tend to stick mostly to Young Adult and did not really know much about this book prior to the movie's release this past summer.  Unfortunatly my schedule didn't allow me time to see the film, but I plan on picking up a copy shortly after it's release this week.

This book is full of strong female leads and focuses on three characters: Aibeleen, Minny, and Skeeter.  After witnessing the way her friends treat their hired help, Skeeter gets the idea to interview the maids of Jackson, Mississippi and put their stories together in a book.  Set against the backdrop of the civil rights movement, this novel is invigorating and inspiring.  These women are taking a near unimaginable risk all for the sake of sharing their stories with the world.  While reading I felt a plethora of emotions; happiness, sadness, and several moments of laughing-out-loud-ness.  If there is one book that you need to read this year,  this is it.

Happy Reading
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...