*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard

What an emotional and heartbreaking book!  It was so difficult to believe that this was not a work of fiction- to think that someone would put a little girl through this is absolutely horrifying.  


I have been trying to figure out how to write a review for this book for quite sometime.  After all, this is certainly not the kind of book you pick up for a light, fun read.  I think I picked it up because I often browse best-seller lists and a good chunk of what I read is somehow media influenced (it's popular, has been/is being made into a movie, or has basis in reality).  For years I have found myself drawn to biographical books, and I suppose that is what led me to reading Jaycee Dugard's A Stolen Life.


There are always those lists of 'things to do, see, visit...etc before you die.'  Well, if I were to put together a list of books to read before you die (and who knows, I just might) it would be filled with very little fluff.  For instance, this book would certainly be on such a list.  I was amazed at the strength and courage Jaycee showed.  Even more, I was shocked that even though there was the possibility of escape (access to computers, time spent in public, etc.) her captor had such a tight grip on her every action that she never tried to save herself.


This really is an incredible book.  It is hard to put down and I'm sure impossible to forget.


Interview with Jaycee Dugard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...