*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Monday, April 28, 2014

"Paper Towns" by John Green

So here's my current assessment of John Green; when the book is narrated by a guy, I like the book better.

I didn't adore Paper Towns in the same way that I adore Looking for Alaska (seriously one of the best books I have ever read. I keep gushing about it), but thought that it was a most excellent read. The novel opens on Quentin going on an adventure with Margo Roth Spiegelman as she seeks her revenge against various friends and classmates. They spend the night going from one location to another engaging in the some of the best planned revenge I have every read (seriously, even if you don't finish this book, at least read the first few chapters, they are hilarious). But the next day, Margo doesn't show up at school and it soon becomes clear that she has run away. Quentin can't stop wondering about her and soon begins to do anything and everything in his power to track her down.


I wish I could see inside John Green's head. His characters are so brilliant and his plots are very original. Quentin's journey to find Margo kept me captivated to the point where I only stopped reading when I had to (why is sleep a thing? And having to go to work when there's an excellent novel to be read?). Green weaves together characters and situations that I an easily believe could actually exist. He has an excellent grasp on the actions and behaviors of teenagers and am going to be horribly sad when I finishing reading the books he has written. I always do my best to be patient while waiting for an author's next book as I would rather have a good book than just another book, but I have a feeling I am going to be anxious for more books from Green. If you have yet to read anything by this brilliant author, then you are truly missing out. If you only read one thing this year, make it something by John Green. I can almost guarantee you will not be disappointed!

Happy Reading!
-Melly 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...