I am writing this since I am saddened to see so many negative comments about the series finale of How I Met Your Mother. So much that it almost completely buries the positive. Frankly I liked the ending and thought it was everything I could have hoped for.
My very first encounter How I Met Your Mother was about the last five minutes of the episode We're Not From Here. For those that don't have every episode memorized, it's the episode where Lily and Marshall complete the "death folders" and the episode ends with Marshall reading Lily's in an oh so touching way until she bursts into the room catching him in the act. At this time, I knew nothing about these characters or the show as a whole so I just rolled my eyes at the dumb sitcom. It wouldn't be until several years when my boyfriend, who had borrowed several seasons from a friend, convinced me that it was actually a show worth watching. Oh how lacking my world would be with this show. I quickly fell in love with Ted, Lily, Marshall, Robin and Barney. I powered through the available seasons over and over again on Netflix, desperate for each new season. I was absolutely thrilled when the timing worked out so that I could actually watch season 9 in real time (and thank goodness for that as I hate spoilers. There is just no way I could have avoided them this time around).
Each week, the boyfriend and I would anxiously sit in front of the computer on CBS.com and the only tragic part of each week was waiting for the next week's episode. Though I thoroughly understand why some people didn't care for the format of this season and how everything was crammed into one weekend, I thought it was a really interesting choice and one that worked quite well.
So onto the finale.
I had my theories. Brit (the bf) and I talked a lot about what we thought would happen. I didn't have any major expectations (Major Expectations!), but I did have a few ideas on how I hoped the show would end.
- We got to see many of the big moments for Ted and The Mother (engagement, babies, etc.) but I really wanted a final montage showing their wedding, the kids growing up etc.
- Brit brought up the idea of said montage being done to the theme song- the whole song, not just the clip used for the intro (pretty sure he saw that online. Whoever had this idea- I LOVE IT).
- I knew that one of the final lines would be something like "and kids, that's how I met your mother" which I expected to be followed by some kind of outrage by the kids since it took so long to hear the story.
- The Mother was going to run into Robin who would be freaking out about getting married and The Mother would be the one to calm her down (happened, but not during the finale)
- I knew that it might have a sad ending, but I was ready.