*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Thursday, March 20, 2014

"The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a9/The_Fault_in_Our_Stars.jpg
It is very possible that I am the only person not completely fan-girling over The Fault in Our Stars. Now before you rage on me, hear me out. I thought this book was excellent. I think that John Green is one of the greatest writers of all time and plan to read everything he writes. But I just didn't think that The Fault in Our Stars was his strongest piece. Within just a few chapters, I had predicted the end of the story and except for a few details that wouldn't be revealed until later in the plot, I was mostly right in my predictions. Compared to some of his other books, this plot wasn't nearly as strong or as compelling. I hate to say it, but parts of it were generic.
Hazel is surviving cancer. She is very close to being a recluse and would rather spend her time reading (specifically An Imperial Affliction) but she has been convinced to attend cancer support meetings. It is at said meetings that she meets Augustus, the boy that will change her life forever. The two begin a whirlwind relationship that we know from jacket of the book will end in tragedy. 

I have heard several people (those that have only seen the trailer for the movie, nothing more) compare this story to a Nicholas Sparks movie/novel. That I will argue against. There was far more depth (in my opinion) than in anything I have read by Sparks but I guess I still expect just a little bit more from Green. It's rare that I come up with an alternate ending for a book that I had no involvement with, but about halfway through this book I thought of an ending that I secretly wish would have  happened even though I knew the book wouldn't end this way. I don't want to spoil anything at all, but if you read this book and are curious, feel free to contact me and we can discuss.

Overall, I thought this was a great book. I am nearly certain it won't make it into this year's Top Ten list, but I see why people are obsessed with it and why people are beyond anxious for the film release. I plan on seeing the film, but I have a feeling I might be the only one in the theatre that won't have tears in their eyes.
 


Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...