*Note, while I will try to avoid major spoilers, I sometimes won't be able to help it.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

"Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories" by Zack Whedon

I wanted to like this book, I really did. But as much as I love Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, I guess I just didn't need an origin story for these characters. And that's all this graphic novel is, an origin story. If it weren't for the fact that the characters were already established, I wouldn't care about them in these comics. The thing that disappoints me the most about this is that anyone who picks up the graphic novel first may not be interested in the mini series.

I have discovered recently that I struggle when stories I like change mediums. I get the reasons behind it, but I so often feel that the elements that make it great get lost. For instance, part of the magic of Dr. Horrible is the brilliant song writing. Sadly there just isn't a good  way to translate that into a comic and without it, I found the writing the be bland. I also felt that the characters are established and developed well in the mini series so getting there back story didn't help enhance the original story for me.

The thing that bugs me the most is knowing that there are plans to make a sequel, but the quality of Other Horrible Stories worries me a little. I am so hopefully that the presence of Joss and Jed Whedon is mostly responsible for the amazing-ness and that this will be the only flop. Granted, it seems that most people who have read this really enjoyed so I realize I am in the vast minority. I guess give this book a shot if you a fan, but don't go into it with high expectations.



Happy Reading!
-Melly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...